We have a funny custom in prayer rooms. As soon as you walk in to one, you will notice random people pacing between or beside rows of chairs. Some people find pacers distracting, although it’s one of the things about a prayer room that you get used to pretty quickly.
The question is — why?
- Some people pace because they’re really into the prayer meeting
- Some people (myself included) pace to stay focused
- Some of us just need a break from sitting since we are in the prayer room for 6-8 hours at a time
- Sometimes it’s simply to stay awake
- I’ve heard some people pace because they’re bored and it makes time pass
- Every once in a while, there will be a pacer who is just pacing to look spiritual and attract attention
Contrary to popular belief, pacers are no more spiritual than those sitting in the chairs. In fact, their reasons are usually quite practical. It’s just the way of a prayer room.